Feeling lost

Hey folks, This Christmas I was gifted an awesome pole and reel and will finally be able to fish again after about 5 years. Honestly I am feeling very lost. All of my buddies I use to fish with have long moved away and I never really knew what I was doing when we went. I want to become more independent this time and really learn about how to fish. I keep walking into Bass Pros and other shops walking around for about an hour and leaving with nothing not knowing what in the world just happened. I know what fish I want to catch. I have looked at when they are in season but I just don't know where to start. I am confused about bait, weights, etc. It feels a bit impossible without someone to help/guide/teach you. I live with a lot of city kids who would never fish a day in their lives. HELP. If their a book you can recommend or any advice I would appreciate it. I am interested in bass, catfish ,trout, salmon, etc. I've read a lot of articles but not really any more clear than I was when I started. I live in Sacramento California.
Thank you received: 69
User

Hey Jammy.... Welcome to the forum... I grew up fishing with my Dad and Brothers...So learned alot from them.. The best place i can tell you to start is the "Northland fishing tackle" website.. click on " Tips & Tricks" scroll to "Fishing tips" There you can select from Basic knowledge / Effects of weather / Fish location / Fish behavior / Bait presentation / and Methods and techniques..... These are good..solid fundamentals... Once you have the basics...then just get out there and see what works...If you have any specific questions...I might be able to help....ask away....lol
Thank you received: 2
User

Hey Jammy,
I'm kinda right there with you on that. It's been a lot of years since I fished so I'm getting back into it myself. I lived in Stockton, Ca quite a back and living next to the delta we fished a lot there or the Sacramento river. But getting back to your question...I'm sure there are fishing clubs there in Sac that could be a wealth of information for you and a lot of fun to meet new people and to go out on fishing outings for the day with the club. Clubs like Folsom Bass Team Club, Rooster Tails Fishing Club, You can google what clubs are in the Sac area to help you. I was involved with a club in Stockton and had a blast and learned a heck of a lot and made great friends. Depending on where you live and if that's something you might like, you might look at that avenue. Just a thought. Good Luck!! Happy Fishing
Thank you received: 0
User

Hey Folks just wanted to update you. So we had a rough storm hit Sacramento and we are pretty flooded. I fished anyway haha I couldn't help it. I have been spending a lot of time at my local bait and tackle shop and he has been really helpful and advised me during the flood to fish the Canal as its water levels are the best. I haven't had any luck at all yet and am still just figuring things out. I am feeling more confident. I have been using live bait which I think is going to be to expensive to use as my only fishing gear. I have fished with night crawlers, pile worms, and ghost shrimp. We have a fishing expo this weekend and I plan to attend and see if I can find something. I appreciate the club tip! The roosters is actually meeting this Friday and I plan on attending. Right now I am focusing on learning what I can use to fish other than live bait. ?
Thank you received: 69
User

Glad i could help some....Bass pro shops web site has some good stuff on too. Like the "Fishing Knot Library, etc. Just scroll to the bottom of the home page... I hope you had a fun day fishing...Wish i was there with you......It got up to 9 deg here today....lol