Very few dishes out there can claim to be soul warming but this one rightly earns it’s spot on the list. Cold nights in camp or dreary days at home, this simple dish will warm you from the inside out. Treat your soul to what it really desires, this Chicken & Dumpling Soup.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 30 minutes, Servings: 6
Chicken & Dumpling Soup Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Carrots - Diced
- 1/2 Cup Oniions - Diced
- 1/2 Cup Celery - Diced
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Garlic Cloves - Minced
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 3 Chicken Breasts - Cooked & Shredded
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 Cups Half & Half
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch (mixed with 1 Tbsp cold water)
Recipe by: POWDERHOOK
1. In a big bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, & parmesan.
2. Slowly add 1 cup of water and mix until you have the consistency of really thick pancake batter which falls off the spoon in clumps. Set aside.
3. Add the olive oil to a heavy cast iron pan like (LINK) Cabela’s 10” Deep Skillet over medium heat.
4. Once hot, add the carrots and sauté for a minute. Add the celery and sauté for another minute. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, black pepper, & red pepper and sauté for another 2 minutes.
5. Add in the cooked chicken and mix until combined.
6. Turn the heat up to medium high heat, add the chicken stock and half & half and bring up to a simmer.
7. Once simmering, drop in tablespoon sized dough balls in an even layer across the top of the pot. Try to avoid dropping them right on top of each other to prevent clumping and sticking together.
8. Let simmer for a good 5 minutes before you stir to make sure the dough has started to form and you will not break up any dumplings. Lightly start stirring to loosen the dumplings and coat them with broth.
9. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes stirring every couple minutes.
10. If you want a thicker soup, mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water and add that to the pot. Simmer for a couple minutes.
11. Ladle into soup bowls, top with some fresh parsley and enjoy!
Click to print or download the Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipe
- Log in or register to post comments
- 85 views